Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Friday, June 1, 2012

Natural Sunburn Remedies



sun burn
Did you have too much fun in the sun this past weekend? Do you look like the proverbial lobster? Does your skin look like my youngest daughter’s back? The one who decided to forgo her rash guard while at the lake.?
When I was a kid we used to slather Noxzema on our sunburns. It did feel nice and cool but it it isn’t the best or most natural thing for your skin. So what do you do when your skin is a bit red?
  • Aloe Vera – I remember when I first discovered this wonderful salve. I was in the Bahamas on Spring Break some 25 years ago  and had fallen asleep on the beach. Ouch! My roommate and I found the aloe Vera gel next to the sunscreen. It was deliciously cool on my fried back of the knees (the one spot I had forgotten to put sunblock on).
  • Lavender Oil – one of my favorite burn remedies. For a serious cooking burn I apply it neat directly to the skin, but for a more widespread burn I like to put it in a spritz bottle with some water and put in the fridge. When you get a little too much sun, simply spritz and enjoy the soothing nature of lavender.
  • Apple Cider Vinegar  - This brings instant cooling relief to the afflicted skin. Spray on the skin or add to a bath
  • Cooling Bath -  Add any of the following to your bath water, lavender, chamomile, apple cider vinegar, baking soda.
  • Water – not on your skin, but in your body, drink it up. when you get a sun burn you end up being dehydrated and it is important to rehydrate your skin.
Do you have a favorite Sunburn Remedy?

4 comments:

Debbie said...

I have heard of aloe, but not the other things. Thank you for the information.

Lindsay said...

such great info! I didn't know about the options other than aloe either!

Anonymous said...

You know what helps very well?
Mustard! If you can stand the smell on your skin for a few hours. It keeps the vinegar on your skin for longer. When I was down in Brazil I got a nasty burn. My aunt rubbed mustard on my back. Then a few hours later I got up to shower it off (With cool water). Then she sprayed cooled down black tea onto my back, then applied aloe. Its a long process. But trust me. It works.

Alex Horton said...

I use aloe on my sunburns. It works great. The skin flakes off in no more than twenty minutes.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest