Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Can you Leave Eggs Out?


015

I enjoy buying my family good eggs, I like to buy them directly from people I know. We tried raising our own chickens but we have found that it was more cost effective to buy our eggs.I really wish we could raise our own chickens like Dwija but it has not worked out for us.   I have always known that fresh eggs did not have to be refrigerated immediately. In fact one of my egg ladies keeps a beautiful egg basket full of them on her kitchen counter..
You may be wondering why I am writing about eggs today. Well it is interesting story. After dropping off kids at school today I was cleaning out the car in preparation for a road trip with my little guy.  Much to my surprise when I went to put something in the trunk I discovered some eggs I had bought at the store on Friday. I was surprised and bemused. I wondered if these eggs could still be good. After all these eggs were store bought, though they claimed to be cage free I am pretty sure they did not come from happy chickens that roam outside.
Did you know that there is a way to check your eggs to make sure they are fresh? Simply get a bowl of water and if they eggs float they are bad and throw them away. Guess what? My eggs all passed the test, but just to be sure I cracked one open. It looked good, not watery and the yolk was intact. It did not smell bad either. Since my husband was still skeptical I took the egg I check and fed it to the dogs, they are all fine.
Yes Virginia, you can leave eggs out. I would like to add that the temperatures were mild while the eggs were in the trunk of the car.
How about you, do you have an interesting story of food left forgotten somewhere?

3 comments:

Dwija {House Unseen} said...

I don't have any good stories, but yes, we leave our fresh eggs out right on the counter until we need them!

Debbie said...

When I was a kid, my mom left a ham or a turkey (don't remember which) in a cold oven over night. She called the county extension and they told her that she had to boil the meat for I think 45 minutes in order to eat it. We had gravy meat for the next few days.

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

I am so excited because I will not have to worry about my eggs anymore. Fresh eggs are coming tomorrow. I have a new egg girl at school. I love our little country school where kids raise animals.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest