Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Monday, March 19, 2012

10 Ways to a Greener Spring Cleaning



16th century laundry





Something about Spring Break makes me want to clean. I know it is a little weird but since we usually don’t go away for Spring Break I take advantage of some deep cleaning. But around here I don’t break out the bleach or other harsh cleaners. We like to keep it green.


  1. Make your own cleaners for pennies on the dollar. My favorite is a simple formula.All you need is a simple empty spray bottle. a little water, distilled vinegar and some teat tree oil.

  2. Use Cloth Rags – You don’t have to go out and break the bank buying new rags.  For cleaning any old rag will do, orphan socks, old t-shirts, clothes that don’t’ fit kids anymore.

  3. Hang up your clothes outside. Use a clothesline if you can. Clotheslines have the multiple benefits, one being using less energy the other being that the sun helps to bleach and sanitize your clothes. Personally my favorite reason to use it is the smell of the clothes.

  4. Take your shoes off at the door, If you feel you must wear shoes inside have house shoes.. We track in everything we walk through, When you make it a habit to keep your shoes at the door you do not track toxins through the house.

  5. Hydrogen Peroxide makes a great sanitizer and stain remover. Dilute it in a spray bottle, one half water to one half hydrogen peroxide. Since it is light sensitive make sure it is kept in a dark (opaque) spray bottle. I like to keep one bottle in the kitchen and one in the bathroom. Come to think of it one in the laundry room would be a good idea.

  6. Find a new home for all those plastic cups you have. We all have a cupboard full of plastic cups, they are cheap, sometimes free. Plastic contains BPA. Not only that, if you use it to heat food up in the microwave, the scratched plastic can leak chemicals into your food.

  7. Dispose of  toxic cleaners in a safe way. Don’t’ be tempted to just throw away the chemicals cleaners you were using. . You must be careful when disposing of these chemicals. Not only are they toxic and dangerous but mixing them makes them a toxic soup.  Check your local area for a collection day.  Many states, cities and counties have local collection days for hazardous household waste. If you are lucky there is a spring collection day.

  8. Open the windows, and skip the air fresheners. Nothing cleans out a stale house and freshens it up like fresh air. If you feel you must use some scent place some essential oils in a spray bottle and spritz that around the house.

  9. Skip the antibacterial soap. Not only will regular soap and water do the trick did you know that the main ingredient in anti-bacterial soap, tricolsan is in reality an insecticide? You wouldn’t use a pesticide on yourself or kids would you? Then why use one in your house?

  10. Take my husband’s advice and if the weather is good, just get outside and take a break from cleaning. The fresh air will do YOU some good.
linked up to Live Renewed Spring CleaningGreen and Natural Mother's Blog HopSimple Lives Thursday

4 comments:

Debbie said...

I agree with your post totally.... I also, believe in natural healing. Stop by and check me out. I will be back to see how you make compost as I would like to start making some so I have it for next year.

Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama said...

These are such great, simple tips! I think so many people are overwhelmed by the thought of switching to green cleaning, so I love spreading the word about how easy it really is.

Thanks for linking up with the Green & Natural Mamas Bloghop!

mythreewonders said...

These are all great tips! I haven't used hydrogen peroxide much, but I definitely need to start. How do you find an opaque spray bottle? I only have clear ones. Or could you use it in a clear bottle and pour it back into the opaque bottle when you're done?

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Brenna, I happen to find opaque spray bottles of hydrogen peroxide in near the big bottles of hydrogen peroxide in the pharmacy. (I did a little happy dance then.) I simply refill the bottles, keeping one in the kitchen, bathrooms and laundry room.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest