Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Monday, February 20, 2012

My Natural Beauty Routine


IMG_9505
(a special thanks to my model – my daughter Pi)
I have always been interested in a natural beauty routine as long as I can remember. When I was a teen my beauty routine consisted of using Neutrogena soap with witch hazel as an astringent, later after I discovered the wonders of aloe Vera while on Spring Break in the Bahamas. I kept up with this very simple beauty routine for many years.
I was always looking for a way to simplify and reduce the toxins n my home and body.
In the last couple of years I have refined my beauty routine. I no longer use shampoo of any kind. I no longer use soap on my face. (I do use a homemade, by someone else soap on the smelly parts of my body). So what do I do?
  1. When my face needs it I wash it with honey. As someone with dry skin this has been a great find for me, but it also works for my teen daughter who tends to have that oily t-zone.
  2. At church the other day I mentioned that I do NOT use shampoo I got some interested looks and some questions. I have been using the No-Poo Method.  While it may take a little effort to wash my hair I don’t wash my hair as often. Now is I work out and get a little sweaty I simply rinse my hair and spray it with a little Apple Cider Vinegar. On days I think I can stretch my hair another day I will simply brush a little cocoa into it. Don’t laugh it smells great and gives a nice red tint to my premature grey streaks.
  3. When my hands need a little TLC I use some Coconut Oil. I just dip my hands in the jar get a little bit and massage it in. My gardener’s hands are very happy.
Do You have any Natural Beauty Secrets?

7 comments:

Sarah Harkins said...

Great tips! I've never heard of honey on the face, but I have heard of coconut oil.

I've been wanting to cut down on shampoo, so I will check out your link to that method.

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Sarah, I have been shampoo free since June of 2011 I am absolutely loving it, be aware however that there will be an adjustment period, just like any time you switch to a more natural method. let me know how it works for you.

Dreena M. Tischler said...

I love the baking soda/ac vinegar method. I tried it on a whim and it is wonderful. The other day my friend said, "What have you done? Your hair is looking so wonderful now!

I have an allergic condition on my scalp and face and it has helped more than anything. Now . . . if I can just figure out the CAUSE of the condition. I suspect "wheat" so I am sacrificing it for Lent along with some other, less self-interested things!

I am also using OCM (oil cleansing method) on my face and love it. I use olive oil and massage it in, then hold a very warm washcloth on my face till it cools then wipe it off. It is working great.

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Dreena - good luck with the giving up wheat, I have already done that. The best advice is that cut the wheat cold turkey, you will have headaches and other withdrawals but they don't last long.

Elisa said...

I found you on the Catholic Bloggers Network last week and I'm so glad! I'm looking forward to reading many of your previous posts. I'm hoping to find a natural moisturizer for my face. I don't need one every day, but do on occasion. Does the honey or coconut oil work for that?

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Elisa, for a natural moisturizer honey I would use coconut oil after washing the face with honey. The honey will help your skin retain the moisture. I must be honest, I don't "wash" my face everyday, just like I don't wash my hair everyday.

Elisa said...

Thanks, Lisa. I will get some coconut oil and try it. I also plan to try washing my hair with baking soda, but probably not until the summer. I have never washed my face or hair every day, and rarely use anything but water to wash my face.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest