Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Why I Wear Dresses and Skirts



Purity-of-Heart-xx-Pompeo-Girolamo-Batoni



I guess I wear dresses a lot more than I don’t, because the other day a mom at school commented on the fact that I am always “dressed up” her words. I don’t consider myself dressed up. That is what you do for a wedding. I don’t wear heels I wear sensible comfortable shoes. When this mom said that I dress up she meant that I dress up too much for our little country school.

She probably saw my  outfit more as this

 images (5)

 When in reality I dress more like this images (6)





I really don’t think I am over dressed for what I do. I teach part time at our school, and I wear comfortable clothes.

So why do I wear dresses and skirts so much?


  • A dress is an easy way to get dressed in the morning. I don’t have to worry about what top to wear with it or bottoms to wear with it.

  • Dresses and skirts fit my curves better than pants and jeans ever did or will.

  • I look more put together in a dress or skirt.

  • A dress is more forgiving if you happen to gain some weight or just feel a little bloated.

  • I just happen to like dresses and skirts, I did as a girl and still do. Matter of fact as a little girl I played in dresses all the time, even climbing trees in them.

  • Wearing a dress or skirt lets me wear leggings and that is a nice comfy feeling.



Now don’t think that I wear dresses and skirts all the time. Because that is not so. I do wear pants or jeans, but sometimes I just feel like wearing a skirt or a dress.

How about you? Are you more of a dress person or a pants person? When you get ready to head out for a meeting or school or just running errands what do you like to wear?







12 comments:

The Salvaged Edge said...

In the summertime I live in light cotton skirts and t-shirts. I have "chicken legs" and they look much better in skirts than shorts! Lol.

Megan @ Purple Dancing Dahlias said...

I would love to wear a dress or skirts more but doing farm chores/milking in a dress just doesn't seem like that much fun. I know they did it in frontier times but jeans are just so much easier.

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

I have the opposite problem, I have had a curvy bottom before J-lo made it popular along with muscular thighs, but a small waist.

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Megan - I completely understand what you are talking about. When I do chores around the property I definitely wear jeans but when it is time to go town depending on my mood and the reason for the trip I throw on a dress and leggings.

Ann Seeton said...

I wear skirts pretty much all the time. I like them. I tend to wear them longish, well below the knee and I like lots of gores so that they are comfortable for when I need to get down on the floor with a toddler.

I have over-heard nasty spirited comments about my "over-dressing" which is comical since I wear very supportive athletic style shoes because my orthotics fit into them well, and I usually pair the skirt with a t-shirt.

It is comfortable, machine washable, and I LIKE it.

Nothing against jeans or pantsuits, but they really are not comfortable on me.

I just love skirts.

Anonymous said...

I almost always wear jeans and tshirts. I wish I could feel comfortable enough to wear dresses or skirts but I am not. I always feel like I dress like a teen instead of a mom but I can't bring myself to wear a dress or skirt. I am glad you can.

Dressless in Ecuador

Lindsay said...

I'm a dress person. They are just so much more flattering on curves! My absolute favorite outfits right now are sweater dresses or wrap dresses with skinny jeans or leggings and cozy boots. So easy and comfy. I usually have a ponytail and no makeup so that probably helps it stay casual.

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Oh, I love that look sweater dresses with skinny jeans/leggings boots. And truth be told, unless I am teaching or going to church I am likely to not be wearing makeup too. That sort of dressing to me is just more flattering and I don't feel the need to change as soon as I get home. I am more likely to change so I don't get my clothes dirty.

juliecache said...

My challenge is finding skirts that look age-appropriate. I don't want to look fuddy duddy, I want to look effortless and have an appropriate skirt length. Shopping is so painful!!!!

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

I hear you Julie, sometimes length is an issue, that is where tights and leggings come in for me. When I was younger I used to love LONG full skirts, now I prefer to wear my long skirts straighter. But I find the best defense is the leggings. Believe it or not after wearing a long skirt to school all day I changed into a little dress with leggings for kid chauffeuring. It was just plain comfy.

Anonymous said...

I have been wearing skirts / dresses only since I got married. I don't regard it as a religious issue (as long as you're modest whatever you wear) but my husband and I prefer them and as we have very traditional gender roles and looking feminine a is very important part of that. We have 3 young and very active children and live in a rural area so I am usually pretty casual.
It's personal choice but I really don't see why some women think its so hard. I tend to longer (mid calf) in summer and shorter (knee length) with tights (pantyhose ?) in winter.

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

I think that for me wearing dress and skirts is more about how they make me feel. Just the other day at school I was wearing jeans and one of the 8th graders commented on why I was wearing jeans. I replied it was Friday and Fridays are casual days. That does not mean I am wearing the same jeans I would to haul wood or work in the barn but rather I had on nice jeans with a nice sweater and a pretty scarf and if the weather warrants it, ie. 17 degrees out like this morning I will wear pants, but I still dress them up to run errands.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest