Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Sugar Detox–Week 7–Limiting Breads, Pastas, Rice and Potatoes


Pasta_bread_125x125
Woo hoo! I am almost there . Only two more weeks left to go on the Sugar Detox challenge for me. Have I mentioned that week 8 will be Thanksgiving?  I am not sure what that will entail but for me I am not sure if I will go there either. But truth be told, I have been saying that all along. This week really was not too hard for me. Week 7 had me giving up all but 1 teaspoon of natural sugar per day. I decided it was time to let go of my honey in my tea.  Once upon a time a go, I always drank my tea without any sweetener, and to tell the truth I have been about 1/2 step ahead of the detox all along.
Now this week 7 coming up does not scare me. I thought it was going to be something extremely difficult, In reality this week will not be too difficult for me at all.  Week 7 has me giving up most bread, potatoes, and rice, basically your starches. I am not a big starch girl. In general I don’t eat bread, rarely eat rice these days, if I do a small portion, and potatoes are reserved for baking when the weather is cold. Lately we have been in the upper 60’s and 70’s..
You may be wondering why I am not shaking in my boots at giving up bread and rice and pastas and potatoes. . I have been working on going grain free for a while now. Now why would I go grain free?  My body apparently does not like grains. I tend to suffer from arthritis symptoms and have skin rash breakouts whenever I eat grains. Years ago, I switched my entire family to whole grains. Along the way I started to eat less grains at the suggestion of my acupuncturist and herbalist. They both let me know how grains affected my arthritis. As I began to eat fewer grains my body began to feel better. Today if I do eat grains I must be prepared to pay the price.

Technorati Tags: ,

6 comments:

Ann Seeton said...

I have found that grain free and dairy free reduces my joint pain too.

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

I never planned to eat grain free but it appears that is what works best for me.

Lindsay said...

I like the idea of reducing sugar but could never get rid of potatoes! It was 13 degrees this morning. You don't wanna know what Jan is like here. I need my soup and potatoes! Lol. I really should reduce my sugar though too-I keep thinking that every time I read your detox posts!

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

I love my soup too, and with our "cooler" weather I keep some in the crock pot at all times. But I find that chick peas or navy beans make a good substitution, plus they give you protein. Now with Thanksgiving here in the U.S. I won't promise what will happen next week on my last week of the detox challenge.

Good Girl Gone Green said...

Good for you, Lisa! I wish you luck for Thanksgiving on the sugar aspect. i know you can do it! I use lemon in my tea. Can you use lemon or is that considered sugar? :)

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Turns out the detox was only 7 weeks. I miscalculated. I will however be cutting the sugars in my recipes. When I used to bake I would 1/2 the sugar in the recipes. I have stopped the honey in my tea and have gotten used to it. Back in college I never used sugar.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest