Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Friday, November 25, 2011

Butternut Squash and Apple Stuffing


IMG_9480

This year I am trying something new for Thanksgiving. Last year I wanted to do this but my family did not want change. So this year I am making the Traditional Stuffing and a Grain-free version too. This stuffing is based on one of my all time favorite winter dishes. Stuffed Butternut Squash. This recipe can be adapted to be vegetarian if you like.
Ingredients
  • 1 lb. Apple Sausage – I am using a locally made one but you can find Apple Sausage at Whole Foods and other supermarkets.
  • 1 small to medium butternut squash
  • 2 medium apples
  • 1 onion
  • allspice –to season
  • cinnamon – to season
  • maple syrup 1/4 cup (real maple syrup)
  • butter about 2 tbs.
  1. Cut butternut squash in half and scoop out seeds
  2. Score the butternut squash and season with all spice, cinnamon and maple syrup.
  3. Place butternut squash in a baking pan and cook at 350 degrees until a fork easily passes through it. (the length of time depends on how big your squash is)
  4. Finely dice the onion and sauté in the skillet with the sausage. Cook the sausage until browned. Remove sausage and onion mixture from skillet
  5. Peel and dice the apples, sauté in skillet with a little butter the any remaining maple syrup and cinnamon and allspice
  6. When butternut squash is fork tender remove scrap it away from the skin. Add the butternut squash to the apples, and add back the chicken sausage.
  7. Thoroughly mix all the ingredients together. Add more allspice and cinnamon if you feel it is necessary. (This would be a time to add poultry seasoning too if you like)
For a vegetarian version I like to use black beans instead of the sausage.

4 comments:

Karynn said...

Nice recipe! I also added apples to my stuffing this year (with bacon). It gives it a nice sweetness :)

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

oh I love bacon, I use it with apples in several recipes I will have to get those up here. Thanks for the idea.

Anonymous said...

That looks so yummy! I always seem to spy beautiful butternut squash at our local farmers market! Thanks for sharing!

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

It is very yummy. I think I will be making more this week. Sometimes I will stuff it back in the shell, if you scrape it carefully it can be done.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest