Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Surviving Church with Kids–A Dozen Ways to make it through Church.





Recently we talked about the importance of having our kids in church with us. It was great hearing from so many of you, here, on Facebook, twitter and even in real life.

So How do you Survive Mass with Kids?


As usual my readers were ready with great suggestions.

Catholic Mommy – said  we“my parents brought religious books for us to read, sat in front where we could see, and as a last resort walked around in the vestibule.”

Doreen – said she when her kids were little she “was always prepared with cheerios and a quiet toy”

I would like to add a few of my own tried and true suggestions.
  1. Read the mass readings ahead of time. This way if you are distracted you will know at least have some idea of what the homily will be about.
  2. Msgr Daniel Muggenburg has been giving in depth teachings of the Gospel for years. He now has podcasts available for free. His insights are wonderful. These may seem a little old but the great thing is the Catholic church cycles through each of the 4 Gospels in 3 years. So every three years Cycle A, B and C come around.
  3. Sit up front so kids can see what is going on  OR
  4. Sit in the back to be less distracting with a boisterous child and for quick escapes
  5. Bring religious books for kids to look at/read
  6. Feed them before you go if possible, hungry kids are more likely to act up
  7. Arrive a little early, so your child can explore. You might even ask the Deacon to give them a tour.
  8. Cheerios – did I mention cheerios? You can pass these out one at a time to occupy toddlers
  9. A sling or light weight blanket for nursing a little one. If you sit strategically this is possible in the pew. Once had to nurse a 3 month old in Notre Dame in Paris
  10. Sit child parent child parent- this works for older kids too. Then they can’t torment each other. Not that my kids ever bug each other in church never.
  11. Catholic Mom has great resources for children in mass, including :
    • coloring pages these relate to the Sunday readings  – perfect for younger kids
    • Mass worksheets with questions relating to the mass and the readings, – 7-10, 11-14
    • Lesson Plan – great for teaching Sunday School
    • Word search – Puzzle, Solution these work well in the classroom too
    • Crossword puzzle – Puzzle, Solution
  12. Bring your patience and remember that they are children, can be loud and quite active fidgety

6 comments:

Homeschool Parent said...

We love Catholic Mom coloring and activity sheets - they have been a lifesaver! Along with the Mr. Clean Magic erasers when one of the younger ones got a little too zealous with his coloring on the pews!
I am your newest follow from Relax and Surf Sunday!

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Sounds like you come prepared. Bringing your own Mr. Clean Magic Erasers.

Kathy Sykes said...

This is a great post and something I deal with every Sunday. My son is 4 y/o and he really should be getting to the point where he can sit and listen for at least an hr. But we do bring coloring pages, etch-n-sketch board, snack, and quiet toys.
I love the idea about reviewing the study before we get to church because I want him to realize that church is for learning God's Word and not just play.
So great to meet you. I grew up Catholic and recently converted to Baptist (my hubby is a pastor). But I consider myself a Cathaptist!

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Yes, Kathy, I too sit in the pew alone with the kids. My husband is on the altar. Since my kids are a little older we no longer bring the toys or cherios. But as a mom, I need to be prepared myself so I will read the readings before church so if I am distracted I at least know what is going on.

Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas said...

great ideas/advice. my girls find it very difficult to staying attentive & still throughout the entire mass - these would be helpful.

Thanks for linking up to the Sunday Showcase - hope to see you again this week!

Bernadette

Debbie said...

We have don't all the above at on point or another. The thing that I suggest is not to bring action figures as they do not teach the child to be quiet and they make other kids around your kid want them. Great article. Congratulations on your 1 year anniversary.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest