Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Monday, July 11, 2011

Stocking the Natural Medicine Cabinet

naturalremedy0211

Our medicine cabinet looks like most, we have a couple of over the counter pain relievers, band aids and vitamins.  But there are a few things you will find that are not in your average medicine cabinet. Some you may have heard of, some of these may be new to you.

Arnica Gelthis is used to combat sore muscles and bruises. With my kids I need to by stock in this one.
Rhus Tox with my family’s history with Poison Ivy this is a necessity at our house.
Aloe Vera Gel – for burns, soothing the skin, natural moisturizer. So many uses for this great plant. I keep a plant right in our bathroom for handy use.
Essential Oils – our must haves are Lavender, Tea Tree Oil, Eucalyptus Oil, and Peppermint Oil
Altoids – yes believe it or not. Altoids are one of the few mints made with real peppermint oil. For an upset stomach you all you simply need to do is bite down and chew on two of these to release the oil.
Ginger – chews and capsules, ginger has so many good uses, as an anti-nausea and as an anti-inflammatory.  I also will use ginger liberally in my cooking(powdered)  and teas.
Calmes Forte – is a great sleep aid.  It is a homeopathic formula of all- natural ingredients and is safe to use for all ages
Melatonin – is known as a mild sleep aid Taken 30 to 90 minutes before bedtime, it acts as a mild hypnotic, helping to relax a body into sleep.
Oscillococcinum -  is a homeopathic flu remedy, we take it at the first sign of fluish feelings.
Epsom Salts – so many uses for this but two of my favorite are for achy muscles and to help lower blood pressure. Soaking in Epsom Salts has been shown to lower blood pressure.
Vitamin C and Zinc Lozenges   Studies have shown that taking vitamin C and Zinc at the first sign of a cold will shorten the length and lessen the severity.
Buckwheat Honey – this is our go to for coughs and sore throats, we mix it with some ginger tea and lemon for a triple whammy.

This post is linked up to Simple Lives Thursday, Real Food, Whole Health


What are some of your Natural Medicine Cabinet Must Haves?



11 comments:

Annie Jones said...

We also use melatonin (I like the time-released kind), tea tree oil and aloe vera. We use lavender oil scented spray for both its calming effect and just because it smells good.

Peppermint works for Kat, but it actually makes my stomach feel worse. Same with cardamom, which is supposed to settle a stomach; it makes me feel worse.

I like to chew on whole cloves for a sore or scratchy throat, and a spoonful of sugar and cider vinegar mixed together can help with phlegm and a "barking" cough.

Biting on wet, used tea bags can relieve mouth pain, and if used as compresses, over time will help remove warts.

When my daughter was a teen, we would simmer onions in honey until thick, then cool it and spread it on acne prone areas of her face. It helped quite a bit to clear her skin.

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Annie, I have heard that historically, whole cloves were used for tooth aches. You would chew on it.

I will be sure to tell my daughter with braces about the chewing on tea bags for mouth pain.

She has used cider vinegar for removing warts and has had great success with that.

Mare said...

I like to have homeopathy on hand for emergencies. For example, we have Ledum 30C for puncture wounds, Apis 30C for bee stings and insect bites, and Cantharis 30C for minor burns. I also have activated charcoal for stomach upsets, etc. I like your choices of essential oils - definitely those 4 are must-haves. I also like your suggestion of Ginger chews...although my tendency is to eat those like candy!

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Oh, Mare those are good homeopathic remedies. As for the Ginger Chews, I am lucky that my kids don't like them, otherwise they would be gone when we needed them.

LivingSoAbundantly said...

I am all about converting to homeopathic medicines! My sister-in-law introduced me to all of this about seven years ago. I've been slowly but surely adding more and more to my every-day living. Here is my herbal medicine cabinet post:

http://livingsoabundantly.blogspot.com/2011/03/herbal-medicine-cabinet.html

I have been working on writing posts on the different things in there. :)

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Living So Abundantly- Thanks for the link - I will be sure to check it out. As you can see I like to use a variety of Natural Remedies.

Reasonably Less said...

Your newest follower Wednesday blog hop. Very Interesting, Love it! Nice site, I will be sure to come back to visit! Check out JULY 2011 BLOG HOP over at www.reasonablyless we would love for you to link up!

Rachel
www.reasonablyless.com
“Mommy freebies, coupons and Advice on using coupons”

Anonymous said...

We use what we call xpak which is ginger, licorice, goldenseal, & echinacea made into a tincture or capsules. This is a strong anti bacteria and anti virus. It gets rid of any sickness or virus at the start. Then we also use a lot of Kloss's Liniment. It is a recipe from Jethro Kloss which is a tincture of rubbing alcohol, goldenseal, echinacae, cayenne, and myrrh. You can spray it on sore muscle and cuts or bruise. They heal immediately.
Those are the two other things our medicine cabinet can not do with out.

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Jacque, those remedies sound wonderful. I am going to have to look into them

Home Remedies said...

Hmmm,These ones quite interesting.
Glad to be here.

Best regards,
Home Remedies..

Food supplement Raw Material for dietary supplements said...

Hi,
Nice site! I am loving it!! Will come back again ??taking you feeds also, Thanks.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest