Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Oh the Places You Go- Showing your children the world.


Show your Children the World.

No this is not about the Dr. Seuss Book, but good reasoning. A wise friend of mine once said that what makes you YOU and changes you are the Places You Go, the Things You See, and the People You Meet.  I have been blessed to travel through out Europe as a youngster. I am sure that the experience of traveling to Europe  as an exchange student and on my own, changed who I am. My mother may have been a bit crazy or ahead of her time,but she gave each one of us kids a Graduation from High School Trip, These trips were not the typical go to a tropic location and party like so many trips today seem to be. They were trips where we went out on our own and explored the world and life, I went to France, one brother to a Boy Scout jamboree another to stay in Hawaii in the dorms at the YMCA. 
These trips changed who we  were.  They made us independent, we had to rely on ourselves, cell phones were non-existent.   We had to rely on our wits. We learned about exotic cultures and ourselves at the same time. 
Travel teaches us many things, not only do we get to see new places for some of us we get to go amazing places. Going somewhere new opens us to more travel and more experiences. But did you know there is scientific proof?
I of all people understand that distant travel is not always possible.  You and your family can still benefit from the occasional day trip. Day trips are a great thing to do in the summer. You may have more free time with the kids, instead of spending it all at the pool, or cleaning the house, why not try a new spot in town, or check out some local day trips. Some of my fondest memories as kid are not necessarily the trips to Europe, but the little trips around our area. Looking for new swimming holes, going to a different town’s festival.
Try going somewhere new this summer, many of us get in a rut of going to the same places for vacations, and while familiarity is comforting, going somewhere new opens up your brain. Ask your kids where they want to go, you will be surprised.  If all you do is go to the local museum you will most likely experience something new. We have been going to the same museum since before our kids were born, but going with kids has taught us to see it from a different perspective. For instance, I never noticed the Picasso at our museum, until my daughter took a shine to it.
Where do you like to take your kids?


8 comments:

pam said...

We visit Reagan's Library every month and sometimes twice. Johnny loves Ronald Reagan. lol

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

I love it Pam, somehow I knew you were a person who took their kids places. We have been taking our kids to museums before they could talk or walk.

Good Girl Gone Green said...

You are so right...and that is one of my favorite books! :)

Sarah said...

That must have been so neat to travel! I have always wanted to travel the world...and hopefully one day I will! I would love to take my kids all over, Europe and Africa at the top of the list. I love your blog!

New follower :)
http://emismom.blogspot.com/

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Sarah, I hope you do get a chance to travel with your kids. Since having goods I have not traveled as much with them as I did before kids. But I am sure to take them on day trips. This summer I did send my 13 year old off on a month long trip with her Grandma. Even little trips change who you are.

Heidi said...

I'm now following your blog from Super Stalker Sunday! I would love for you to stop by and say hi!
www.textbookmommy.com

Jaime Nicole said...

I've been thinking about taking my son to Philadelphia, it was a great experience for me when I was his age. Great post, I'm a new follower from the hop! Hope to see you stop by ParentPalace sometime. Happy Sunday!

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

@Parent Place- my daughter (13) went to Philly this summer,absolutely loved seeing history come alive. Of course she had a local tour guide (my brother). But Philly has some great things for younger kids too.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest