Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Sunday, July 10, 2011

The importance of Going to Church as a Family

church family

A child learns mostly by doing. They also learn by watching what the parents do. Be careful your children are paying attention to you. When you attend church as a family you are sending a very concrete and strong message to your child about who they are and who their family is. They know that they go to church, and that Mom and Dad do too.  Growing up it was firmly ingrained in me that we attended church together. If we were home, even when we were in college we all attended together, no teenager going to 5pm mass to be with their friends while the family went Sunday morning.

What does a child learn by going to church with his family?


Studies show that children who go to church learn many valuable life skills outside that translate outside of church. Children who attend church/mass with their families
  • increase their  average life expectancy by 8 years
  • significantly reduce their  use and risk from Alcohol, Tobacco and Drugs
  • dramatically lower their risk of suicide
  • rebound from depression 70% faster
  • dramatically reduce their risk for committing a crime
  • improve their attitude at school and increase their school participation
  • learn right from wrong
  • find an extended family - this is especially important today where biological families can be spread out over continents 
  • they statistically improve the odds that they will lead an active church life in their adults years

    The Importance of Attending Church as a Family


    Growing up Catholic, a generation or two ago it was not uncommon to see  Mom’s and kids only at church. In some parishes it was the norm.  Church was considered something women did.   Today, I still see moms alone with kids at church. I am in awe of them, the fact that they can get themselves and their kids out the door looking well presented. However, studies have shown that children who attend mass/church regularly with their fathers are the ones who are most likely to continue attending church on a regular basis.

    A 1994 study in Switzerland  found the following results. Surprisingly, it is important for a father to attend church with his kids, more important than the mother.  According to the study if the father of a family does not go to church, only one child in 50 will become a regular church attendee. However if the father attends regularly then more than two-thirds of the children will become regular church goers.  When I first read these statistics I was blown away. Yes these statistics are from Switzerland but they do relate to those of us not in Europe.

    What amazed me most at these statistics is that I come from a family where the mothers were the ones to take their kids to church. I know for a fact that my grandfather was not a regular attendee at mass, but he was often away working. My grandmother on the other hand went to mass daily when her schedule allowed.  My mother continued that tradition she not only attended mass solo with the kids, she was active as a  CCD Teacher. My father would join us on Holidays but my mother never made him come to church.  Some how my brothers and I beat those odds.  We all still attend regularly,  however my uncles, who did not see their father go to mass have fallen along the wayside.   Surprisingly the study found that it was more important for the children to go to church with dad than with mom. It did not seem to matter how devout the mother was, it was the church going habits of the father that set the child up for life.

    6 comments:

    EH said...

    Lurking from the weekend hop. Love this post. Both my mother and father went to mass with my brothers and I every Sunday and they still go together on Sunday. It really ingrained upon my brothers and I the importance -- 3 of the 4 of us still attend some type of service semi-regularly. My husband and I take our kids as often as we can. Its lovely.

    Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

    Thanks for stopping by Elyse. Hope you find many more posts that you enjoy. So glad to hear you take the kids to church.

    Jenny Sulpizio said...

    Great post and so vital that fathers be the ones that get their families to church. It is crucial that dads be involved in the spiritual nurturing of their children. I grew up Catholic and my father was always absent from Sunday service. I was married in the Catholic church and baptized two of my children at that same church but since left because I personally needed to grow more spiritually and needed more for my kiddos as well. We attend church EVERY Sunday and never miss unless there's illness or something along those lines. My children know that church and their relationship with God and His son come before everything else and I think that's what I am most proud of.

    Following you back from the weekend stalk. Thanks for following!

    Blessings,
    Jenny Lee Sulpizio
    Author of "Mommy Whispers"
    http://www.jennysulpizio.com

    About a Mom said...

    Hi! Taking your kids to church is so important! I am a new follower from Mon Hop! Please stop by http://aboutamom.com

    Jellybelly said...

    I'm crediting my husband who has a very strong faith in leading me back to attending church every week and renewing my faith. It's important now that we have a little girl. Great post!

    Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

    Jellybelly, if it wasn't for my husband's strong faith, we would probably be more lackadaisical about church attendance. But he keeps us on track.

    Post a Comment

    Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
    Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest